Historic Buildings of Belturbet

The Market House, Belturbet

The Market House mentioned above dominated the Diamond in Belturbet for many years. Farm produce of all kinds was weighed and sold on the ground floor. The first floor was the administration area for the corporation. The weekly Court of Pye was held here every Saturday. It was also where dances and concerts were held. In 1927 the Market House was demolished and the present Town Hall was built on the site.

The Church of Ireland

The Church of Ireland in Belturbet, situated at the rear of the Town Hall at the top of Church St was originally thatched. The sand stone tower was built in 1814. The church was rebuilt in 1828-29 by Government grants of £800 and £900. The oldest headstone is inside the Church and is dated 1712. The Church stands on the remains of one of two Star Fortification sites in the town. The other star site remains is at the top of Deanery St /Cavan Road, Belturbet.

Military Barracks, Belturbet, Co. Cavan

The first military barracks in Belturbet was built on the West bank of the river, a few yards downstream of the Quay. It is now a family home called Riverdale House. It was built in the c1660. It served as a military barracks and later as a Royal Irish Constabulary Police Barracks. The first houses on Killconny were built for the soldiers. A much larger barracks was built further downstream on the town side of the river in c1753. It was originally a cavalry barracks then cavalry and infantry and finally in the 20th century artillery barracks.

The Diamond / Market Square, Belturbet

The original Post Office building on the Diamond was built in 1904. The Diamond was originally called Market Square. The Butter Market building is on Castle Hill. The Orange Hall was built in 1874, and the Erne Cinema, later the Erne Palais Ballroom was built in 1947, both at the junction of Deanery St and Holborn Hill.