St Marys Cathedral

St Marys Cathedral is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ossory – a diocese which includes most of County Kilkenny and portions of Counties Laois and Offaly. On the Sunday morning of 18th August, 1843 the foundation stone was laid for the Cathedral after 8 0’clock Holy Mass. On the Sunday morning of 4th October at 6.15a.m the Cathedral was consecrated. On the 9th April 1899, after some renovation work and with the completion of the work begun in 1844 a solemn opening was celebrated before a large congregation. With the passing of the years other works were undertaken much of which was to do with ongoing works of repair and upkeep of such a building. In the late 1970s, following the Second Vatican Council and the mood of the times further renovation was undertaken which included many changes to the sanctuary area. St Marys is currently undergoing much necessary renovation with the provision of special facilities for our parishioners, the good people of the Diocese, for pilgrims and visitors. The mission is to reconnect The Cathedral to the Diocese and the City of Kilkenny and to ensure the Cathedral, as a sacred space, remains a place of prayer and worship for generations to come.